Harrison's story

Our little miracle Harrison, was born at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney on the 20thMay 2011 at 31 weeks, weighing 1800gms and 42cm long. The doctors said he was always a big baby during the check ups, and they believe that this is one of the reasons why he excelled so quickly during his time in hospital. 

Harrison’s Story - Google Chrome_2013-10-27_18-06-57.png

After a text-book pregnancy there is no reason as to why our little man came early, and unfortunately they cannot guarantee that it won’t happen again, but in the same sentence his Pediatrician says he has rewritten the premmie handbook as our little fighter was kicking goals from the very beginning!

Harrison spent 10 days in the NICU at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and was then transferred closer to home to the St George Private Hospital. Here he spent another 7 weeks till we finally got to bring him home, where he belonged!

Harrison wasn't breathing when he was born and was resuscitated for 2mins. He was on CPAP for the first night and had one sleep apnoea during his first night in the world also. His lungs were a little weak once he was born, and he had a high heart rate that had the doctors testing and keeping an eye on, but after a few weeks you wouldn't have even known. He was so strong and growing so well. He started his charming ways early with all the nurses quickly falling in love with him in the first couple of days!

I think one of hardest things of my life was during the time he was at the hospital, although I didn't know life with him at home and being with me all the time, as soon as I met him, he just instantly become a part of me and I didn't want to leave his side. I think its instinct to want to be with your baby, I was leaving my brand new baby with people I didn't know, yes they were professionals and of course these people where saving his life, but it doesn't mean it didn't hurt any less when I had to leave him there every night, only so I could sleep to keep up the milk for him, otherwise I would of stayed there till he was able to come home! There were many many nights were I would just cry the whole way home from the hospital, there were days were I would visit 6-7 times a day just to touch his tiny hand, or watch his little chest rise and fall.

Its funny how you switch off to the alarms or the world around you when you get to hold your baby for the first few weeks, the time we got to hold him was always timed as of course it takes so much energy for them to be out of the humicrib, so I ensured my every moment was focused on him so he knew how much he was loved and that I needed him to keep growing so he could come home soon. So when that time was up I would place him back in his humicrib (we called it his toaster, as he just needed a little bit more cooking) and just watched him, I only left once he was asleep as I hated when he watched us leave, that was when I was the worse going home.

So fast forward 8 weeks, with a baby kicking every goal he possibly could, we finally get to bring our amazing little man home. The reality of how early he was hit when I had my ‘6 weeks after’ check up and the date of this check up was the week I was meant to begin my maternity leave from work. That was a very weird feeling for me!

So now Harrison is 17 months old and the most curious, cheeky, loving and happy little man.   His sitting/crawling and walking had been delayed a little but the Pediatrician had told me when he is two years of age he will have caught up with all development stages.  He is my world and the bear hugs I receive every morning are priceless, no amount of money can be estimated for the thanks and praise that I give those amazing medical staff who helped our little man become the reason why I am placed on this earth, to make sure he has the most amazing life he deserves.

To be a part of such an amazing cause - Running for Premature Babies - would be my way of saying thank you to all the amazing NICU and SCN's around the Sydney area and Australia for that matter for having the equipment and help to allow my son be the happy and healthy little man he is today, and also to make sure that little Henry, Jasper and Evan are never forgotten and know that they obviously touched many hearts, as little angels do, and this is an amazing way for them to be remembered. I know first hand what parents go through when exposed to the NICU or SCN world, weather it be a premature baby or a sick baby, I want to help. So becoming a part of the RFPB team will allow me to join my two loves in life, helping amazing little miracles AND keeping fit at the same time - its genius!!!!