About Your Fundraising
Our vision is for a better chance of survival, and quality of life, for premature babies.
Our mission is to:
- fund research projects dedicated to advancing the care of premature babies
- supply hospitals with lifesaving neonatal equipment
- raise awareness of premature birth and celebrate all premature babies, both living and lost, and
- inspire people to achieve their fitness goals while supporting premature babies.
Supporting communities across Australia
In Australia, 1 in 10 babies are born prematurely, which equates to 26,000 babies every year. Many of these babies require Neonatal Intensive Care, which is one of the most expensive parts of health care. Caring for a premature baby can cost anywhere between $3,500 and $10,000 per day.
Running for Premature Babies is proud to be able to support the equipment and research needs of Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs) so our brilliant Neonatologists and Neonatal nurses can give premature babies a better chance of survival.
Since 2007, Running for Premature Babies have raised over $5 million for life-saving equipment and research for Neonatal Units around Australia, providing over 100 pieces of equipment, and funding $800,000 of research to advance the care of premature babies for the future.
The following hospitals have been supported so far:
- Sydney's Royal Hospital for Women,
- Royal Brisbane & Women's Hospital,
- Queensland NeoRESQ premature baby retrieval service,
- Bundaberg hospital,
- Alice Springs Hospital
- Flinders Medical Centre, Adelaide,
- Orange Base Hospital,
- Hervey Bay Hospital,
- Redcliffe Hospital
If you are interested in starting a Running for Premature Babies running community in your local town please contact us
In the Media
- Parents of premature babies running to support each other amid coronavirus pandemic
- Running with doctor who saved her child's life
- Sydney Father's act of endurance for son born 13 weeks early
- Interview with Sophie Smith by Hope 103.2
- ABC - How Sophie ran to stop her heartbreak happening to others.
- Launch of memoir - Sophie's Boys
- The Beast - Sophie Smith: Superwoman, local legand and mountaineer.
- Scott Crank - Running for Premature Babies fundraiser Dad